Tuesday morning, we arrived to Grand Cayman. We had to tender to shore since the water is shallow and/or they don't have a dock for an obnoxiously large ship. Kieran and I picked an excursion where we would swim with the stingrays, see a turtle farm, and visit Hell (an actual town on the island).
The somewhat blurry picture below is Grand Cayman zoomed in from where the ship was parked.
Our next stop on Wednesday morning was Cozumel, Mexico. Not as many pictures because we spent some time in an internet cafe and then we walked over 3 miles to the downtown area for lunch. We took a cab to a beach located a few miles past the ship and decided to lay out for awhile.
Hola Amigos....
Our little private area of beach....and a sombrero-sporting horse!
It was in Cozumel where we decided to smuggle booze onto the ship. Unfortunately (or, fortunately for Carnival cruise lines, I suppose), alcohol isn't included in the price of the cruise. We were not sure what we could get away with in terms of BYOB, since the "rules" we read beforehand made it sound like we'd be chucked overboard if we decided to risk it. By Wednesday, we just decided to try it....duty free booze was too cheap not to! If we got caught, the worse that would happen would be they'd confiscate our treasures and probably drink it themselves after they got off work. Maybe we'd be black listed, but whatever. So we bought a couple bottles of Absolut and a couple liters of water. Not being wasteful of perfectly good bottled water (I mean, we were in Mexico!), we chugged our water down. It almost made me puke because it was a lot of water in about a 5-10 min. time period. I am drinking and waiting outside the men's room (keeping watch), where Kieran is located, pouring his vodka in his water bottle. When it was my turn, I went into the women's room and by the grace of God did not vomit all over myself. See, in Cozumel, they don't flush their toilet paper. So imagine what I see when I walk into a stall (water logged and nauseous from chugging water)....foul. I immediately abort mission. We walked a little further down along the dock and despite security guards keeping a keen eye, I poured it into my water bottle right there in plain sight. I had some bribery money ready. And I was ready to run for it, too. They let us back on the ship, so now we know for the next time (and so do you all).....
Our little towel buddy that night. I think it was a dinosaur (brontosaurus - sp? - the ones that just ate plants) but I am not sure. That night, I heard round 2 of Bulimia Lady in the bathroom by the restaurant. At that point, I had consumed so much food, I almost gave it a go. But I didn't. Instead, I chose to embrace my "see food and eat it, but let it stay in my stomach so that it can be dispatched to other key areas of my body, such as hips and rear" disorder....

Downtown Belize was very busy and crowded. And we didn't really see any place where we wanted to eat lunch....there were a couple of stands serving interesting looking dishes (Kieran said one looked like it was fingers in some sauce with rice).

There was a street market after you left the port area. It was pretty cool. There was a really nice lady, Vanessa, who made me a necklace while I waited and watched her.
It's hard to see, but I am standing under the red awning waiting for Vanessa to finish my necklace.
My girl, Vanessa...and me sporting my new necklace. I bought another necklace there, too. She was awesome. Everything was "Sweetie" this and "Sweetie" that. 
The rated "G" photo of Coco Loco and elephant towel....we also caught them in a compromising position....shame shame!
Thursday night, the cruise ship hosted a party in your bath robe party on the top deck from 11:00 pm - 1:30 am. We opted to go in clothes instead of our robes, but it was still fun. I think it was also fun because we were drinking mojitos and smuggled Absolut.
There is absolutely no trace of it left, but yes, that is a bit of a sun burn I am sporting.....and below is a picture of the dessert buffet table that night. Yes, there's healthy fruit, but what you can't see as well is the cakes and pies......
Kieran and towel dog trying to decide what to do the next day in Isla Roatan, Honduras......
I love you, towel dog.
This is what you do when the only friends/family you have on the cruise ship have already gone to bed......
We chose a beach excursion in Honduras, but the forecast was rain, so we just decided to walk around. Once we got off the ship, we started walking through the street markets. After we started walking in another direction, we were met by a little boy who was 11 years old. I didn't catch his name very well because he was soft spoken, but he spoke English very well and he was walking without shoes. He was so sweet. He offered to guide us through the streets and told us where the cheaper store was located. I am sure someone in his family worked at that store and his job was to lure tourists to the store, but I am a sucker. We went. He waited for us to finish shopping and walked us back close to the ship. I wanted to sneak him on Absolut vodka-style and adopt him but Kieran said it probably wouldn't be wise.
My little man. I hugged him goodbye, gave him $10 and cried all the way back to the ship. Honduras seemed like a very poor country. It was sad. (Don't be amazed....I do have a teeny tiny heart, people!)
When we got home that day, the cruise line had delivered us some chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. That's what you get when there is an odor of old garbage wafting into your room for a couple days. I think they moved the trash soon thereafter because the garbage smell went away after that day.
Thursday brings us to Belize. There were so many excursions I wanted to do, but I happen to be interested in the 7 hour excursions but we were only there for, like, 8 hours and I wanted to tour Belize City, too. So we just decided to tour on our own and possibly do some kind of excursion when we got done sightseeing on our own.
The ship left Honduras and started making its way back to Tampa. Saturday was a "Fun Day at Sea" but it was kind of chilly and cloudy so it was Sarah and Kieran's Fun Day at the Cruise Ship Casino. That night, it was elegant night again, as well as Bouts of Bulimia part 3....not me, the bathroom lady (same lady, I could tell by her puke noises at this point). We arrived back in Tampa around 5 am Sunday morning. Nothing says "it's going to be a Fun Day" like the 5:45 am wake up call so that Kieran can go through immigration (at the "debarkation meeting" they said non-US citizens and family.....but I guess that means non-US citizen family only since I was there, dressed, no-coffee-pumping-through-my-bloodstream-yet perky only to be told I don't have to be there). And nothing says "Wait, the Fun Day isn't quite over yet!" like 7 hours at the Tampa airport. But we made it home just in time to enjoy the sub-zero Chicago temps....
3 comments:
this is me. amazed by your towel talents.
ummmm... so excited to read about the rest of your trip. Frightened about what you could possibly muster to blog about the HO HO HO! :) Although, I have the BEST picture of you and kieran discussing your parking job... with the cars in the picture! So much fun...LOVE YOU BOTH, and miss you already! em
Sounds like it was a great trip! Makes me want to go on a cruise.
Bet the return to Chilly Chicago was a shock.
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment