Thursday, August 7, 2008

A bit of nostalgia thanks to my cousin, Misty...

So - I was reading my cousin's blog this morning over coffee and thought I would play what I can only describe as the "remember when and what I hope to do in the future" game...I have some time to kill before court (Kieran had an immigration appointment at 8 am...I honestly thought that government offices didn't open until 9 or 10 am, who knew? I still hate ICE...but we're still waiting for final approval, which is why I haven't launched into my tirade about them yet). ANYWAY:

10 years ago - I was 22 and had just graduated from U of I and moved up to Chicago. I was settling into my cute, but ghetto, apartment with Ani, trying to find financial aid for my private law school tuition. I worked for 2 weeks at Nordstrom in Old Orchard, but I couldn't handle the stress (hahahahaha) of driving to Skokie (!) from the northwest side. At the 11th hour, I contemplated heading to Boulder for law school instead of Chicago-Kent, but decided to stay here and tough it out. I was newly single. A downward spiral ensued (however, I maintained a commendable GPA despite the excessive amounts of alcohol consumption)....

5 years ago - I was 27 and was hired at the Cook County Public Defender's Office, which was what I wanted since law school. I had been working as a lawyer for 2 years at a small real estate development firm. But this was my opportunity knocking. However, when I found out I had a crappy HMO for the first year and I was being assigned to Child Abuse and Neglect, I almost quit that day. Again, I decided to tough it out. I was about to meet Kieran (I met him in the fall of 2003) and while I thought he was cute and liked his Irish accent, I would have never believed it if someone had told me we'd end up married...He's 5 1/2 years younger than me and I was under the impression that the work visa was a temporary thing. Plus, I was dating someone else at the time.

Today - I am 32 and married to someone who makes me the happiest I have ever been in my entire life (aside from if you plopped me into a room of chocolate, cheese, and massage therapy 24/7)...we don't yet have kids and we only recently purchased our condo. Even though I am feeling "baby pressure" from all sides (you know who you are), we are currently very content with our life and our lifestyle. I am still at the PD's office (constantly planning my escape....) which makes for good dinner conversation, if nothing else. We are going to Ireland next month to visit Kieran's parents and family and then we are going on a cruise in December, a pseudo-belated honeymoon.

5 years from now - I will be 37 (gasp!) and I will have had at least one child, God willing. Hopefully I will be done with the bebes at that point. I will no longer be at the PD's office, but instead working at my own firm, I hope. We may or may not be at the current condo, but if I have my way, we will still be in the city. Unless we move to North Carolina. :) :)

10 years from now - Geez, I will be 42. My husband will still be in his mid-30s. I will be still karaoking on my birthday, much to my husband's dismay. I will still have the same friends I have today. My kids will be healthy and think that Aunt Nicole and Aunt Laura are much cooler than me, even though I will tell them that once upon a time, I WAS THE COOLEST AUNT, just ask. :)

Ok have a great day! off to court....to smelly breath, B.O., and verbal confrontations with criminals in denial. Who wouldn't want my job????

4 comments:

777clarkstreet said...

sar, sar, sar... thanks for that. loved it, really makes me think about where i was and where i am ... and of course, where i'm going. have a good weekend! em

Sydney said...

What a fun post! I haven't thought back 5 or 10 years in a long time... I'll have to ruminate on this one for awhile!

Misty said...

Hey, thanks for playing! It was fun to read =) We're doing well here. I'm getting bigger and bigger, ready to get it all over with. Jack's looking forward to having a baby brother (so he says). I'm not so sure he'll think it's great when the baby actually arrives. Hi to Kieran as well! Miss you guys.

Nic said...

Loved it, I want to play too!