Friday, May 23, 2008

R. Kelly & the Soldier Field 10 miler*

*absolutely in no way related to one another, just a couple of thoughts on the former and information that I am running the latter

In July, I will have been a Public Defender for 5 years, with almost 2 of those years spent at the beautiful and scenic 26th & California (the criminal courts building). Most of my clients are in jail waiting for whatever outcome on their case because they cannot afford the bond imposed on them by the judge. For my fortunate clients who are able to post a bond, they arrive to court on their own accord (usually at the mercy of the ever-prompt CTA), wait in a VERY LONG line to pass through security, be verbally berated by crabby deputies, and wait for what feels like centuries to cram into whatever couple of elevators happen to be working on a given day. When they finally are able to scramble into their courtrooms a mere couple minutes late (due to aforesaid circumstances), they are greeted by either a grand chew-out session by their judge, or an arrest warrant.

HOWEVER - If your name is Robert (aka "R") Kelly, and you're a Grammy-winning superstar, and you're charged with numerous counts of child pornography (due to an alleged sex tape with a 13-year old girl), making you eligible for a PRISON TERM of up to 15 years, then you are considered VIP here at the courthouse.

Today's VIP treatment: sheriff deputy will hold open the elevator door for you AND prohibit anyone else from entering said elevator with you and your 3 man posse/entourage/thug bodyguards (even though I have personally been in said elevator with about 15 people at one time), much to the chagrin of other defendants, attorneys, and court staff waiting for said elevator. Oh, and don't even get me started on the crossing guards, the reduced parking spaces, and all the other fanfare. You'd think it was an R. Kelly concert at the criminal courts building.

Sometimes, it really is sick to see how people are treated differently just because they are mega-rich and famous. Whatever. On behalf of my jail clients, I am hereby requesting limo transportation, complete with champagne, from all jail divisions to my courtroom next week. I think it can be arranged - I will ask for the "R. Kelly special." On the other hand, I am not an enabler, nor do I excuse, those clients who roll in at 11 am for a 9:30 am court call. Those guys get what they deserve.

Criminal Defense Attorney Tip #1: IF YOU'RE INTO SEX WITH CHILDREN, DON'T FREAKING VIDEOTAPE IT!!!!

(Stepping off soap box now)

I am running the Soldier Field 10 Miler tomorrow morning. It ends on the 50-yard line where the beloved Chicago Bears play football. Should be kind of cool. Would be cooler if the players were required to cheer the runners on in cheerleading outfits! HA!

No comments: